Thursday 22 September 2011

Enabling instant search on server 2008

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mjsabby/archive/2009/04/26/enabling-outlook-instant-search-on-windows-server-2008-windows-server-2008-r2-beta-win7-server-beta.aspx

I use Windows Server 2008 R2 Beta (Win7) as my workstation OS with Desktop Experience enabled, and performance adjusted for Programs (as opposed to background services).
Best performance adjusted for Programs
Only one gripe, the slow Outlook Search because because there isn't a Search service installed out of the box on Windows Server 2008 (and R2). So, I open services.msc, and start looking for a search service ... but couldn't find one -- so I settled with the slow search.
 enable_outlook_windows_Server_2008_r2_beta
Until today, when I accidentally discovered how to do it while trying to add a File Server role to my box!
 windows_server_2008_win7_search_service
FYI
(1) Command line: ServerManagerCmd -i FS-Search-Service
(2) Or, Server Manager > Roles > Add Roles > File Services > Windows Search Service

No comments:

Post a Comment