Monday 12 September 2011

issues installing from ISO in hyper v or vmware

I was setting up a test enviornment on a laptop using Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-v. I started up hyper v and attempted to install server 2008 R2 from an ISO that I had downloaded from the microsoft partner site. I got the following error during windows setup:

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.  If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

A lot of people on forums are getting this issue and there are a few causes and solutions. I first assumed I was missing some disk controller drivers so I downloaded the WinPE driver pack from the dell site which should have all the drivers required for my laptop. Guess what, that didn't work. I found this post on MS forums but that didn't help either. Some people online said they had success with downloading their ISO again, this didn't work for me in this case.


I also have experienced this issue with vmware as well and that time with vmware, the issue was with the ISO file. Some proxy servers store files in a cache so they don't have download them each time. Some times files get truncated or cut short. Download your ISO again and use an md5 checksum and file size to check that it is correct. Alternatively download the ISO with a direct internet connection (like a home connection) and a download manager do the m5d checksum if you can.

I solved my hyperv issue by burning the ISO to DVD, inserting it into my laptops DVD drive and then I installed my VM using the physical DVD drive. This isn't going to work for anyone who's virtual host is in a data centre 15 miles away.

I attempted to install a windows 7 client with another ISO from the partner site and I got the same issue. I found that for some reason in the hyper v settings of the VM that I had an IDE controller for the virtual hard disk and I also had a SCSI Controller. I removed the SCSI controller from the settings in hyper v and I was able to install the OS from the ISO file in hyper v.

No comments:

Post a Comment